Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Liberia in 2008

We received official word yesterday that the Africa Mercy will be returning to Liberia for 10 months in 2008 instead of going to Sierra Leone as planned. So we will be leaving here sometime towards the end of this month, sail to the Canary Islands and stay until end of January then come back to Liberia.

There have been many reactions to this announcement - some people are upset, some don't really care one way or the other and some people are happy. Personally, I'm glad to be coming back because I still have patients who are alive and need continued care. Now, when we leave, we can leave our patients a couple months worth of pain meds and then we can start revisiting them when we come back (assuming they are still alive). Plus I know Monrovia well and can easily find my way around.

In other news, I've been driving for a week now and really like it. It makes me feel like I'm living in a more normal situation than I actually am. Currently I can only drive for business purposes but next year when we return I'll be able to check out a car for personal reasons (like going out to eat or going to the beach) so it will give me a little more freedom.

I'll be home in 31 days! I'm planning on spending 4-5 days in St. Louis after Christmas but other than that, I'll be in Des Moines the rest of the time.

Peace,
Michele

No comments: