Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ship life continues

A lot of people back home ask me how I like ship life and I can't say really that I dislike it or like it. It's just different...so I was trying to think up a way to explain it. So I want you to think about all of these people and picture them in your head:

You
Your boss
Your boss's boss
Your boss's boss's boss
Every single one of your coworkers
Your doctor
Your doctor's nurse
Your hair stylist
Your librarian
Your local grocery clerk
Your local Starbuck's clerk
Your car mechanic
The person who washes your car
Your teachers
Your principal
Your pastor
Your church worship teams
All the people in your church
Your dentist
Your dental hygienist
All of your neighbors within a one block radius
The person who fixes your computer or helps you with your internet access
The person from whom you rent DVDs
Your local post office clerk
Your local bank teller
200 random people you crossed paths with today that you don't know but look vaguely familiar

And now imagine that you see these people all the time because you all live together. You see them at breakfast, lunch and dinner; you see them in the library and while doing your laundry; you see them at meetings and at church; you see them when you go out to a restaurant and when you are looking for a quiet, private place to read; you see them when you are working out or when you go to the movies; you see them when you hang out at Starbucks or when you go grocery shopping or when you are on your break at work or you go to the bank; you see them in their work clothes, in their casual clothes and in their workout clothes; you see them with their spouses and children and with their friends.

You basically see every person who has a connection to either your home life, work life or church life everywhere you go. Even in the middle of the night when doing laundry - one of these people is bound to be there!

Some days I miss my nice, quiet condo back home but, for the most part, I'm acclimated to ship life and it is just normal now. I'm not sure what I'll do when I get home and I actually have to make an effort to see any of these people!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As funny as it seems right now, you will probably miss them! By the way, Dan and I welcomed our new baby girl on March 11th. If you want to see a picture they are posted on www.missouribaptist.org under 3/11/08 and look for my name. Also, thanks for posting Meg's blog address. I have been reading her blog as well!
Rochelle