Saturday, April 5, 2008

Weekly update

My wonderful patient, Monica, died this week. She was in her 30s and had breast cancer. We only met her about three weeks ago and when I saw her last Friday, she was doing seemingly well. No complaints, just a small cough. We had a fun visit, just sitting outside by the river she lives next to and talking. In another place and time, she is someone that I could have been good friends with.

When I showed up for a visit on Friday, I knew something was wrong as I was walking to the house. There were lots of people just sitting around on benches outside and inside the house - that's always an indication of a death. As soon as I walked up, Monica's sister Rose came up to me, grabbed me in a hug and started to cry. 'She fini-o, she fini-o' Rose kept repeating, meaning 'she died.' Rose told me that Monica started having trouble breathing on Sunday but decided not to go to the hospital for any help and she died Tuesday morning.

The family will be meeting on Saturday to decide on funeral arrangements and what to do with Monica's four children. The children will most likely be given to Rose to raise (that's what Rose thinks anyways). Their biological father is dead and the stepfather will probably not take any responsibility for them.

We also got three new patients this week, all children. Nelly (5), Princess (10) and Alexander (5). All three will be getting chemo for Burkitts lymphoma (cancer) starting Friday. On Friday, five of our patients will be at St. Joseph's hospital receiving chemo at the same time. Makes for easy visits when they are located in the same place!

Here are some random photos from the week:
The U.S. Navy was in Liberia for PR/humanitarian reasons. Many Mercy Shippers were able to tour their High Speed Vessel (HSV) and their big ship anchored outside the port. Here is a group heading out to the Navy ship. Notice the sunken ship behind them.

Father and daughter.

















Surrounded by kids.











My friend, Liz and my translator/friend, Jerry next to our LandRover.
Random pig walking around in front of my friend Rose's church.





Only God Make Me Big Boy #2 (there is a #1 taxi as well, I've seen it:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle! Just saw your article in the Lutheran Women Today - May 2008. The article was great - I enjoyed reading about your journey. I can't imagine what you see everyday but reading the article made me understand a bit better. Thank you for your service. I miss seeing you at Hope! Keep kissing those kids - I love seeing the pictures. Know I am praying for you!