Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ceilidh

If you're thinking 'huh' about my title, that's what I thought when I first saw the word. It's pronounced kaylee and it is the Scottish Gaelic word for visit. A ceilidh is a social event with music and dancing and we had one here Friday evening. It was the most fun I've had in a long time.

All we knew was that this event was for all ages, we would be dancing and you didn't need to have any dancing abilities (thankfully, since I have none). We all met outside on the dock at 7pm and then spent the next 2 1/2 hours dancing. There were at least 100 people there.

We learned maybe 10 or so dances with names like Stripping the Willow and the Gay Gardens. Our event leader would teach us the dance first and then once the music started, she would call out the steps over the PA system.

We were dripping sweat and laughing so hard for those 2 1/2 hours. My roommate, Megan, took photos when she wasn't dancing. These are some of the ones she took.








We're actually doing The Wave here (that's not Scottish:)












No comments: