Friday, August 17, 2007

More about patients

It looks like I'm going to have a change in my job duties sometime in September. They were looking for another nurse to work in palliative (hospice) care and I volunteered. It was great how this came about (God, of course:). I had been praying last weekend about how I could get more involved in the community because we kind of live in this westernized bubble of a ship and the Liberians come to us rather than us out with them.

So Tuesday, I listened to a presentation about all of the community projects Mercy Ships is involved in and one was about palliative care. I talked to some friends about how I had been thinking about doing hospice nursing when I got home and said I'd really like to get involved in this ministry. So about three hours later, the nursing staff got an email from our supervisor saying there was a position in palliative care and did anyone want it. So I volunteered.

I don't have any details yet but I know the current palliative care nurse goes out to her patients' homes 3 days a week to care for them. It just occurred to me that I may have to drive here - that is a horrible thought. Hopefully, I'll have more details in the coming week. I am really, really excited about this (except about the driving).

I've had a lot of fun with my patients lately - really getting to know them rather than only caring for them. I have a few photos to share.

This is Jo (my roommate from Wales), me and George. George is a 9 year old who has been with us for a week. He was badly mutilated by rebels when he was two (they killed his dad) and his mom came hoping we could help him. We couldn't help him physically but he has been a huge joy for all the nurses. He never, ever stops smiling. He has been well-loved by all of us, helping us with our nursing duties, playing with us. George and I like to play soccer on the ward (with a balloon). He loves soccer. He has had lots of moms over the last week!


Here's another one of George. Even though we couldn't help him, he and his mom spent a week on the ward waiting on a way to get back home. The Red Cross picked them up today (Friday) to take them home.



This is Peter. Peter is 33 years old with three kids - he was born blind. We removed the cataract in his right eye and he will be fitted with a prosthetic eye in the left side. He left before I found out if his eyesite was restored. We had a long walk up and the down the hallway so I got to learn more about Peter. He liked to say 'Praise God' after every sentence.


Every afternoon, we take some of the patients up to Deck 7 so that they can get outside. The hospital is located on Deck 3 and has no windows so this is their opportunity to get some fresh air. Usually one of the translators leads us in singing for an hour which absolutely helps in the healing process (spiritually, emotionally and physically).

This is 6 month-old Junior. He came with his mom who had surgery. He has been with us about three weeks and the nurses like to 'fight' over who gets him. He is about the size of a two-month old due to malnourishment so we have him on a feeding program. His mom was in obstructed labor with him for four days and his brain was damaged - he can't hold his head up and his eyes don't track. Junior and his mom, Amelia, left today. She was physically healed - I don't know what the future will be like for him.

Here is Jo with Kou (left) and Mary. Kou has been here about 6 weeks due to a burn contracture wound that won't heal. She has a 10-month old baby waiting for her at home named Maurice. He has been able to come and stay with his mom for a few days but he doesn't like the nurses much! Mary left a couple days ago physically healed. She has been such a mentor and mother-figure to the ladies on the ward. She has tremendous faith. She's the one who called me 'her daughter.'

That's all the photos for now. As I sit here in the internet cafe looking out the portside window, I'm laughing as I watch my nursing supervisor, Judith, learn how to change the tire on one of our Land Rovers. They require that anyone who drives a car here must know how to change a tire so she is learning. I wish I had my camera! That will be me soon if I have to drive here.
Peace,
Michele


No comments: