Thursday, August 23, 2007

My new job

September 3rd, I will be starting a new position as a palliative care (hospice) nurse. I met today with Jean Brown, currently our one and only hospice nurse, to get more details about the job. I'm in for a challenging few months.

There are two parts to the job. First, is caring for patients who are terminally ill. I will be traveling to the patients' homes with Jean to provide nursing care along with spiritual and emotional care. Most of her patients are kids with cancer - I wasn't prepared for the kids part...I'm not sure how I will handle this. Lots of prayers, please. Liberia has no healthcare system so cancer is a terminal condition always, even the kinds that are curable or treatable in the U.S.

The second part is developing a sustainable hospice program that will remain in place after Mercy Ships leaves Liberia. Working through churches, we want to create a program where terminal patients can seek care. While we have many of these programs developed in the U.S., the West African culture is far different from ours and we don't know what will work. For example, West Africans do not talk about death - they live only for today. So if the topic is taboo, creating a program for such a topic will be difficult at best.

It feels good to be way out of your league, as I am. It's much easier to rely on God and His direction when you don't have a clue what you are doing. I'm glad to be back in such a position. West African medicine frequently involves the occult as many people seek treatment from witch doctors, especially people who live in rural villages.

So for any of my counseling, chaplain and nursing friends, I would be interested in hearing about any resources that may help me (books, websites, magazines, support groups, etc.). You can email me at mzeller27@yahoo.com.

Jean will be leaving Mercy Ships in December after 10 years. I don't know what my long-term plans are yet but this may evolve in to something permanent. We'll see what God has planned!

Peace,
Michele

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele- Looks like you are getting into something very challenging but I am sure you will do well with it.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,

I am following your life's journey with great interest. God Bless and be safe.

Love, Uncle Paul

Anonymous said...

Dear Michele,

I was a palliative care nurse last year on the ship. It was heartbreaking, but also my most enjoyable time there (I was onboard 3 1/2 years). We were afraid the program wouldn't continue. I am so glad Jean and you are willing to do this. You and your patients are in my prayers.

Many Blessings,
Sondra Dodgen

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,

Let me know what food I can send to you. It will be a long year eating peanut butter

I am so proud of you.
Love
Mom