Sunday, July 22, 2007

Out on the town

I finally made it off the ship this week. First, I walked with two friends (Gea from Holland and Helene from Germany) to the supermarket. It was quite an experience during the 45 minute walk to the store. It's very hot and muggy and there are tons of people in the streets as well as lots of taxis driving like crazy people. And for some reason, the Liberian men like to yell at us and make disgusting sucking sounds with their teeth. Fortunately, there was a Mercy Ship car at the supermarket with a dental team so I hitched a ride back with them. Here's a picture of the supermarket. It was pretty decent - kind of like a smalltown grocery store - it has everything you need but just not the brands you like.

My second outing was to a pediatric hospital. Riding in a car here can be a scary experience! The roads are horrible - full of potholes and it doesn't appear that they have any road rules (although I'm told there are actually traffic rules). Here are some pictures of the streets of Monrovia as we were driving to the pediatric hospital.

You can see in these pictures that there are people everywhere. The unemployment rate in Liberia is about 85% which may be why so many people are out in the streets and not working (I'm speculating:).













It takes a long time to get anywhere because the potholes in the roads are so big and they are everywhere. You have to weave in and out of them and try to avoid oncoming traffic. You can see how bad they are in this photo.
The markets are outdoor markets and they go on for what seems like miles, stand after stand selling almost anything you would ever need. This lady is selling fish and what looked like chicken. I can't imagine buying meat like this on the street. I wonder how old it is and how long it's been sitting out in the 90 degree heat?

Here's a couple more random photos taken from the car.















That's all for now. I'll post about my trip to the pediatric hospital maybe tomorrow. The internet is painfully slow tonight and I'm out of patience for uploading photos!!

Peace,
Michele

No comments: