Monday, July 16, 2007

Ship Life

Now that I've been here for two and 1/2 weeks, I feel like I've settled in and life has become more routine in a good way. I don't have to constantly find out how to do something (like receive mail), where to find something (like the laundry room) or who to ask if I need to know something. I have most of the answers I need in order to live here.

It's a pretty simple life, living on a ship in the port of a country where you can't just hop in a car and go somewhere. I don't have any of that busy-ness we live with in the U.S. I don't have a car to drive or maintain, or fill with gas, there's no grocery shopping or cooking (not that I did that anyways:). There's no commute to work - mine is to walk about ten doors down the hallway. There's no tv watching or going out to restaurants or movies. There's no house cleaning or lawn work. There's no doctor or dentist appts or running errands like running to Target or Home Depot.

What there is a lot of is relaxed, free time. I have a hard time figuring out what day it is (is that what retirement is like?). Unless I'm working a day shift, I sleep in without setting an alarm clock. I have read more books since I've gotten here than I did all last year (if you haven't read Three by Ted Dekker, I would highly recommend it). I spend a lot of time hanging out with people, talking or playing games. I attend 5-6 different worship services a week. I check email or read the news on-line. I walk up and down the dock for exercise when it's not raining or go to an aerobics class. I'm reading through the Bible and at the rate I'm going, I will be done in about four months. I pray a lot with people and alone. I'm in two small groups - one is social and the other is a Bible study with one of the chaplains.

When I'm working, I don't have to work that hard (as a nurse). I take care of our patients' physical and medical needs but once that is done, I get to hang out with them. The ladies are here for two weeks so we really get to know them. As nurses, we hang out with them on their beds and talk to them. We paint their nails, read to them, pray with them, even color with them (they love to color). We sometimes dance with them - they sing a lot. The singing is a funny thing - most of them can't really sing but they don't care. I can't sing so I would never sing out loud alone like they do. I guess no one ever told them they shouldn't sing if they can't carry a tune:)


Here are some pictures of a few ladies I've come to know. We aren't allowed to take photos on the ward unless the patient asks and my friend Korto asked if I'd take a picture. The first photo is a picture of Korto and me. She doesn't speak English and I don't speak Kpelle so we just talk to each other without ever really understanding.





This photo is Korto and Quita. Quita speaks Korto's language plus a little English. So this is how I talk to Korto: Korto says something to Quita in Kpelle, then Quita repeats it in Liberian English to a translator who then repeats it to me in English. It's very funny that the translators have to translate their English to us and our English to them. Liberians speak English as their official language but they don't say the final part of words so I usually can't understand them.

This is a photo of my friend Ans, Korto and four of the translators. Ans is a nurse from Holland who lives in Sweden. She and her husband have been missionaries for Youth With a Mission for 23 years. Her husband and daughter are currently serving short-term in Uganda while she is in Liberia. She is becoming a good friend but she will only be here a few more weeks.

For some, this life will sound boring and others might think it sounds relaxing (who doesn't want to give up some of the drudgeries of life). I personally have found it to be very relaxing, calming and healing. I have a lot of time for reflection and prayer. While I miss my friends and family, I don't miss much of my old life. I love this life so far and I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

I'm going to a pediatric hospital this Saturday to play with the kids in the hospital. Hopefully we can take pictures or videos and I'll post more about that trip. Peace.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are getting along very well!

If you are looking for more to read beyond the ships library you could check out Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org) they have upwards of 100,000 free ebooks!

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy every minute! You are in our prayers.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jamie. I'll definitely check it out. We have quite a few books in the library but at the rate I'm going, I'll need a bigger selection! Michele

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jamie. I'll definitely check it out. We have quite a few books in the library but at the rate I'm going, I'll need a bigger selection! Michele

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jamie. I'll definitely check it out. We have quite a few books in the library but at the rate I'm going, I'll need a bigger selection! Michele

April said...

So good to see your face in the photo! You continue to be in my prayers. Enjoy yourself!

much love to you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing really good. I enjoy reading your messages and updates of your trip. Sounds like a great experience! Things are going good here. Miss siting next to you though and chating. But good luck and look forward to hearing more from you. Take care and God Bless!

Paula Nelson